Hi. My name is Jaeyeon [JAY-awn] and I am an Assistant Professor in the department of Computer Science and Engineering at UNIST. I'm leading the TACT Lab, where we focus on designing rich and intuitive haptic interactions for future computers based on human haptic perception and innovative hardware interfaces.
Previously, I completed my Ph.D. in Computer Science at KAIST in 2020, advised by Prof. Geehyuk Lee. I was also a research intern at Microsoft Research (with Mike Sinclair, Mar Gonzalez-Franco, Eyal Ofek, and Christian Holz) and Saarland University (with Prof. Jürgen Steimle). You can find the full list of my publications in my Google Scholar profile and in my CV (PDF).
Research opportunities/advising? please read before contacting me :)
If you are looking for a research internship, please read this form carefully and submit an application if you are still interested. In the past two years, we were able to have ten amazing interns and all interns led their own research projects. Some of them even submitted the results as first-authored papers!
If you are looking for graduate thesis/project advising, please send me an email with the topic you'd like to explore so we can discuss the topic and research plan for the semester. I usually put much attention in early stage of the project (even before the semester). Please start communicating your plan as early as possible. An application on the portal without pre-discussion can be declined.
If you are interested in MS/Ph.D. position in my group, every year I take 1-2 graduate students supported by the government scholarship (free tuition fee).
However, I hardly consider applicants without prior research experience with me unless they have a strong recommendation from a professional researcher in related fields. Thus, if you are interested in joining MS/Ph.D. program, I strongly recommend considering a research internship in my group so that both you and I can see whether there's a good fit not only in research interests and skills but also in working style, lab culture, etc. Please understand that this is because the *fit* is one of the key factors for your successful graduate school life. If you have any related question, please send me an email.
|Nov 29||Travel My application to UNIST's Overseas Dispatch Support Program has been accepted. I will be visiting the University of Maryland with two of my students, Buyoung and Dusan, for research collaboration.|
|Nov 22-25||TACT@KHC TACT Lab attended the 1st Korea Haptics Conference and received two awards! Sungwoo's paper received the outstanding paper award and Jiseong's team took the second place :)||Nov 17||Talk I will give a talk at the Hyundai Motor Company (scheduled 12/14).||Nov 10||Talk I will give a talk at the KSC 2023.||Nov 7||Talk I will give a talk at the University of Maryland (Scheduled 2/15).|
|Nov 6||CHI 2024 2/4 submissions received R&R. We thank all reviwers for the thoughtful and detailed reviews :)|
|Sep 30-Oct 22||Travel I will be visiting the University of Virginia and the University of Maryland for research collaboration.|
|Sep 18||Korea Haptics Conference I will serve as an Associate Editor and the Poster Chair.||Sep 15||CHI 2024 TACT Lab submitted four papers to CHI. Buyoung, Jiseong, Sungwoo, and Dusan made it happen!||Sep 13||Grant My research proposal has been accepted by National Research Foundation of Korea :)|
|Sep 8||Talk I will give a talk at the University of of Hawai'i (Hosted by Prof. Nurit Kirshenbaum, Scheduled Oct 9th).|
|Sep 7||UNIST I was appointed as the vice-chair of the UNIST Admission Audit Committee.|
|Sep 6||WHC 2025 I was invited to the organizing committee of WHC 2025 as a workshop chair.|
|Sep 6||SIGCHI Korea I continue serving SIGCHI Local Chapter Steering Committee as a secretary.|
|Fall'23||TACT Lab Our lab turns two in Fall'23. We changed our lab name to Tactile Interaction Lab. Thanks for the great idea, Badraa!|
|Fall'23||Buyoung, one of our first interns, becomes our first graduate student.|
|Aug 17||I was invited to the editorial board of Frontiers in Virtual Reality and Frontiers in Robotics and AI.||Jul 31||Talk Invited to KoreaTech (Scheduled on Aug 11th, Hosted by Prof. Sang-Youn Kim).|
|Jun 22-24||UIST 2023 PC Meeting|
|Jun 2-7||Travel Invited talk at the Universtiy of Virginia|
|May 18||HFES 2023 A paper on programmable softness display has been accepted to HFES.|
|May 5||CHI 2024 I was invited to the CHI 2024 Program Committee.|
|Apr 22-29||Travel Attended CHI 2023 as an Interactivity chair and an author. Two of my students, Buyoung and Jiseong, joined the travel to Hamburg.|
|Mar 3||UIST 2023 I joined the UIST 2023 Program Committee.|
|Spring'23||I'll be teaching CSE333 Introduction to HCI and CSE523 Advanced HCI :)|
|Feb 23||Korea Haptics Conference I joined the organizing committee as the poster chair.|
|Feb 21-23||Travel Attended Korea Haptics Society PI Symposium as a presenter.|
|Feb 1-3||Travel Attended HCI Korea 2023 as an organizer and the chair of the SIGCHI Korea Winter Event (Info). Three of my students, Seonggyu, Sung Woo, and Buyoung, joined the travel.|
|Jan 14||CHI 2023 Two papers have been conditionally accepted to CHI 2023.|
|Jan 11-13||CHI 2023 PC Meeting|
|Jan 4||CHI 2024 I'm happy to continue working as a CHI 2024 Interactivity chair with Parastoo and Lars Erik!|
|Dec 28||Jiseong started research internship with Prof. Aditya S. Nittala. You will be missed!||Dec 2||Talk Invited to HCI@KAIST (Scheduled on Dec 16th).||Nov 11||Korea Haptics Society Attended the 1st plenary meeting of Korea Haptics Society. I'm happy to join the steering committee :)|
|Nov 7||CHI 2023 All three submissions were invited to R&R.|
|Sep 20||CHI 2023 I was invited to the CHI 2023 Program Committee.||Sep 17||Congrats! Buyoung and Jiseong made their first, first-authored submission to CHI :)|
|Sep 7||SIGCHI Korea I'll be organizing the SIGCHI Korea Winter Event at HCI Korea 2023.||Jul 19||Talk Invited to KAIST GSCT Colloquium (Scheduled on Oct 11th).||Jul 15||Talk Invited to DGIST (Scheduled on Aug 19th).|
|Jun 29 - Jul 1||Travel KCC 2022 as a workshop presenter. Three of my students, Buyoung, Jiseong, and Ga Yun, joined the travel.||May 18||Panel Invited as a panelist for the SIGCHI Korea Summer Event (Scheduled on July 8th).||May 11||Talk Invited to a KCC 2022 Workshop (Scheduled on Jun 30th).|
|Mar 16||CHI 2023 I will serve as an CHI 2023 Interactivity (Demo) Chair.|
|Mar 16||SIGCHI Korea I'm happy to join the ACM SIGCHI Local Chapter Steering Committee.||Mar 7||Talk Invited to Kyung Hee University CS Colloquium (Scheduled on Jun 10th).||Feb 18||Talk Invited to Yonsei University CS Seminar (Scheduled on May 25th).||Jan 21||Talk Invited to POSTECH CSE/GSAI Seminar (Scheduled on Apr 20th).|
|Dec 15||Grant Our research proposal was selected as one of four UNIST A.I. Incubation Project.||Nov 29||Talk at KwangWoon University.||Oct 29||Talk at UNIST Design Seminar.||Oct 26||Talk at KAIST Lovelace Day.||Aug 31||Joined UNIST Computer Science and Engineering as a new faculty.||Jul 7||WHC 2021 Presented a poster on MRE-based Haptic I/O device.|
|Feb 22-24||AH 2021 I served as a Poster Chair.|
|Oct 30||Talk at Korean Institute of Information Scientist & Engineers - Women Workshop.||Oct 16||Talk to HCI Engineering & Design Lab at Texas A&M University.||Sep 4||Award Selected as EECS Rising Stars in Korea.||Aug 20||Talk Gave a tutorial talk on "Reading Papers to Write CHI Papers" at HCI Korea 2020.||Aug 20||HCI Korea Organized HCI Korea Workshop on How to Write a CHI paper?||Apr 17||Defended my dissertation on "Non-Contact Wearable Tactile Display using Airflows".|
|Nov 10-13||ISS 2019 I served as a Student Volunteer Chair.||Oct 22||UIST 2019 PseudoBend has been presented. Implementation details are here.|
|Oct 1-4||MobileHCI 2019 I served as an associate chair for Late-breaking Results :)||Sep 25||Talk to Professor Pedro Lopes's Lab at University of Chicago.|
|Jul 24||Paper PseudoBend has been accepted to UIST 2019 :)|
|May 9||CHI 2019 Like A Second Skin has been presented.|
|May 9||CHI 2019 TORC has been presented. Slides are available here.|
|May 6||CHI 2019 Mode Errors in Korean-English Keyboard has been presented.|
|May 4-9||CHI 2019 I served as an associate chair for Late-Breaking Work.|
|May 5||Video TORC video got >10k views!|
|May 2||Blog TORC, my internship project at MSR, was featured in Microsoft Research Blog.|
|Mar 15||Award Like A Second Skin receives Best Paper Honorable Mention Award at CHI 2019.|
|Jan 13||Special Recognition for Outstanding Review at CHI 2019.|
|Dec 11||Papers All of three submissions have been accepted to CHI 2019.|
|Jun - Aug||Research Intern at Microsoft Research in Redmond, WA.|
|Jun 12||DIS 2018 Touch Branch was presented.|
|Apr 25||CHI 2018 Multimodal Watch-back Tactile Display has been presented.|
|Dec 2017 - Apr 2018||Visiting Student at Professor Jürgen Steimle's Lab at Saarland University, Germany.|
|Apr 9||Talk to Professor Herbert Shea's Lab at EPFL, Switzerland.|
|Jan 1||IJHCS Square Watch Interaction has been published on IJHCS.|
|Nov 10||Paper Multimodal Tactile Display has been accepted to CHI 2018.|
|Nov 10||Award Touch Branch won Outstanding Paper Award for ISSM 2017.|
|Aug 1||Paper My paper got accepted to UIST 2017 Doctoral Symposium, one of my phd wishes :-)|
|Jul 27||Thesis proposed.|
Honors and Awards
- Outstanding Paper Award, KHC 2023
- Second Prize, Student Idea Challenge, KHC 2023
- Best Work-in-Progress Paper Finalists, WHC 2021
- EECS Rising Stars in Korea
- Best Paper Honorable Mention Award, CHI 2019
- Special Recognition for Outstanding Review, CHI 2019
- Outstanding Paper Award, ISSM 2017
- GradUS Global Scholarship
- UIST 2017 Doctoral Symposium
- SCF 2017 Summer School Travel Grant
- NAVER PhD Fellowship Award
- Google Travel Grant
- Outstanding TA Award, School of Computing, KAIST
- Outstanding TA Award, School of Electrical Engineering, KAIST
- UNIST CSE333: Introduction to Human-Computer Interaction, Spring 2023
- UNIST CSE523: Advanced Human-Computer Interaction, Spring 2023
- UNIST UNI111: Introduction to CSE, Fall 2022
- UNIST CSE333: Introduction to Human-Computer Interaction, Spring 2022
- UNIST CSE469: Introduction to Robotics, Spring 2022
- UNIST CSE523: Advanced Human-Computer Interaction, Fall 2021
- UNIST UNI111: Introduction to CSE, Fall 2021
- ACM SIGCHI Korea Local Chapter, 2022-2024
- Korea Haptics Society, 2022-2024
- IEEE World Haptics Conference 2025 Workshop Chair
- ACM CHI'24 Interactivity Chair
- ACM UIST'23 Best Paper Committee
- ACM UIST'23 Workshop Jury
- Korea Haptics Conference Poster Chair
- ACM CHI'23 Interactivity Chair
- ACM SIGCHI Korea Local Chapter Winter Event Organizer
- ACM AHs'21 Poster Chair
- ACM SIGCHI Korea Local Chapter Workshop Mentorship Chair
- ACM ISS'19 Student Volunteer Chair
- Korea Haptics Conference 2023
- ACM CHI'24 Papers
- ACM UIST'23 Papers
- ACM CHI'23 Papers
- ACM MobileHCI'19 Late-Breaking Results
- ACM CHI'19 Late-breaking Work
- ACM TEI'17 Work-in-Progress
- ACM CHI'17 Interactivity
- Frontiers in Virtual Reality
- Frontiers in Robotics and AI
- ACM CHI'18-23
- ACM UIST'18-23
- ACM VRST'22
- IEEE VR'19-23
- IEEE ISMAR'20
- ACM SUI'22
- ACM CSCW'20
- ACM TEI'17-19
- ACM DIS'18
- ACM ISWC'17
- IEEE VR Journal
- IEEE Transactions on Haptics
- UNIST Admission Audit Committee Vice-Chair '23-'25
- UNIST Undergraduate Admission Committee '22
- CSE Student/Event/Public Relations Committee '21 - Present
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, KAIST
- Research Assistant @ HCI Lab, KAIST
- Research Intern @ Microsoft Research, Redmond, USA
- Visiting Student @ HCI Lab, Saarland University, Germany
- Research Assistant @ Medical Systems Lab, Yonsei University
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering from KAIST
- Research Assistant @ Image Computing Lab, KAIST
- B.Eng. in Control Engineering from Kwangwoon University
- Buyeong Mun (MS-Ph.D.)
- Jiseong Kim (MS-Ph.D.)
- Sungwoo Kang (UNIST CSE)
- Jungmin Park (UNIST CSE)
- Dusan Baek (UNIST MSE)
- Junsu Lee (UNIST CSE)
- Ga Yun Im (UNIST CSE)
- Sang Eun Seo (UNIST CSE)
- Seonggyu Jang (UNIST CSE)
- Badraa BatUlzii (UNIST CSE)
- Kai Schaerer (University of Zurich)
Previous Research Projects
We present a technique for haptic feedback that creates the illusion that a rigid device is being stretched, bent, or twisted. The method uses a single 6-DOF force sensor and a vibrotactile actuator to render grain vibrations to simulate the vibrations produced during object deformation based on the changes in force or torque exerted on a device.
Recent hand-held controllers have explored a variety of haptic feedback sensations for users in virtual reality by producing both kinesthetic and cutaneous feedback from virtual objects. These controllers are grounded to the user's hand and can only manipulate objects through arm and wrist motions, not using the dexterity of their fingers as they would in real life.
The emerging class of epidermal devices opens up new opportunities for skin-based sensing, computing, and interaction. Future design of these devices requires an understanding of how skin-worn devices affect the natural tactile perception.
In countries where languages with non-Latin characters are prevalent, people use a keyboard with two language modes namely, the native language and English, and often experience mode errors. To diagnose the mode error problem, we conducted a field study and observed that 78% of the mode errors occurred immediately after application switching.
Smartwatch has a limited input vocabulary because of its small touchscreen. Using touch sensitive edge as an input is one of the promising solutions. We explored interaction techniques that use the possible combinations of touch sensitive edges and the touchscreen.
Interpersonal touch, one of the most primitive social languages, is an excellent design element frequently utilized in interaction design. We built an interactive system that can sense simple touch and interpersonal touches. We observed the interpersonal touches and discussed the effect of social relationship and the spatial distance. This research project was a part of an interactive installation project, Lumi Land (2017), at National Science Museum in Korea.
We proposed the idea of layering two disjoint tactile sensations (wind and vibration) together to expand the information capacity of watch-back tactile display. We presented interaction scenarios and the pattern recognition experiment results of multimodal tactile display.
Traditional wearable tactile displays transfer tactile stimulations through a firm contact between the stimulator and the skin. We conjecture that a firm contact may not be always possible and acceptable. We explored the concept of a non-contact wearable tactile display using an airflow, which can transfer information without a firm contact.
A watch-back tactile display (WBTD) is expected to be a viable supplement to the user interface limitations of a smartwatch. However, its design requires that many design parameters such as tactor types and stimulus patterns be determined. We conducted a series of experiments to explore a best design of a WBTD consisting of 3×3 tactors and presented the results.
- Investigating the Feasibility of Force Input using Hand Flexion and Extension Sungwoo Kang, Buyoung Mun, HyeonBeom Yi, Geehyuk Lee, Jaeyeon Lee. Korea Haptics Conference 2023. Outstanding Paper Award
- Perceptibility of programmable softness displays using magnetorheological elastomers Bingxu Li, Jaeyeon Lee, Gregory J. Gerling. Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting 2023. [Sage Journals]
- Augmenting On-Body Touch Input with Tactile Feedback Through Fingernail Haptics Peter Khoa Duc Tran, Purna Valli Anusha Gadepalli, Jaeyeon Lee, Aditya Shekhar Nittala. CHI 2023. [acm dl]
- Design and Field Trial of Tunee in Shared Houses: Exploring Experiences of Sharing Individuals’ Current Noise-level Preferences with Housemates Nari Kim, Sangsu Jang, Hansol Kim, Jaeyeon Lee, Young-Woo Park. CHI 2023. [acm dl]
- PseudoBend: Producing Haptic Illusions of Stretching, Bending, and Twisting Using Grain Vibrations Seongkook Heo, Jaeyeon Lee, Daniel Wigdor. UIST 2019. [git repository] [acm dl]
- TORC: A Virtual Reality Controller for In-Hand High-Dexterity Finger Interaction Jaeyeon Lee, Mike Sinclair, Mar Gonzalez-Franco, Eyal Ofek, Christian Holz. CHI 2019. [MSR blog post] [acm dl] [slides]
- Diagnosing and Coping with Mode Errors in Korean-English Dual-language Keyboard Sangyoon Lee, Jaeyeon Lee, Geehyuk Lee. CHI 2019. [project page] [acm dl]
- Like A Second Skin: Understanding How Epidermal Devices Affect Human Tactile Perception Aditya Shekhar Nittala, Klaus Kruttwig, Jaeyeon Lee, Roland Bennewitz, Eduard Arzt, Jürgen Steimle. CHI 2019. Best Paper Honorable Mention Award [pre-print] [project page] [acm dl]
- TouchBranch: Understanding Interpersonal Touches in Interactive Installation Seungki Kim, Jiwoo Hong, Jaeyeon Lee, Hyunsook Choi, Geehyuk Lee, and Woohun Lee. DIS 2018. [gif] [acm dl]
- Exploring Multimodal Watch-back Tactile Display using Wind and Vibration Youngbo Shim, Jaeyeon Lee, and Geehyuk Lee. CHI 2018. [video preview] [acm dl]
- Evaluation of Edge-based Interaction on a Square Smartwatch Sunggeun Ahn, Jaeyeon Lee, Keunwoo Park, and Geehyuk Lee. IJHCS 109 (2018): 68-78. [paper link]
- Developing and Understanding UX of the Interactive Installation with Interpersonal Touch Technology Seungki Kim, Jiwoo Hong, Jaeyeon Lee, Geehyuk Lee, Woohun Lee, and Hyunsook Choi. ISSM 2017. Outstanding Paper Award
- Designing a Non-contact Wearable Tactile Display Using Airflows Jaeyeon Lee and Geehyuk Lee. UIST 2016. [video figure] [acm dl] [slides]
- Investigating the Information Transfer Efficiency of a 3×3 Watch-back Tactile Display Jaeyeon Lee, Jaehyun Han, and Geehyuk Lee. CHI 2015. [video figure] [acm dl] [slides]
- Defying Gravity: A Novel Method of Converting Screen Orientation Jaeyeon Lee and Da Young Ju. IJSH 7.5 (2013).
- Implementation of Four Port Birdcage Coil in 3 Tesla MRI System Jaeyeon Lee, ChangHeun Oh, and HyunWook Park. ITC-CSCC 2012.
Peer-reviewed Conference and Journal Papers
- A Magnetorheological Elastomer Device for Programmable Actuation and Sensing of Soft Haptic Experiences Bingxu Li*, Jaeyeon Lee*, Gregory J. Gerling. WHC 2021, Work-in-Progress.
- PseudoBend: Producing Haptic Illusions of Stretching, Bending, and Twisting Using Grain Vibrations Seongkook Heo, Jaeyeon Lee, Daniel Wigdor. UIST 2019 Adjunct, Demonstration.
- Demonstration of TORC: A Virtual Reality Controller for In-Hand High-Dexterity Finger Interaction Jaeyeon Lee, Mike Sinclair, Mar Gonzalez-Franco, Eyal Ofek, Christian Holz. UIST 2019 Adjunct, Demonstration.
- Exploring Multimodal Watch-back Tactile Display using Wind and Vibration Youngbo Shim, Jaeyeon Lee, and Geehyuk Lee. CHI 2018 EA, Demonstration.
- Wind Tactor: An Airflow-based Wearable Tactile Display Jaeyeon Lee. UIST 2017 Adjunct, Doctoral Symposium.
Extended Abstracts, Posters, and Work-in-Progress
- Non-Contact Wearable Tactile Display using Airflows Advisor: Geehyuk Lee, Ph.D., School of Computing, KAIST.
- Implementation of Four Port Birdcage Coil in 3 Tesla MRI System Advisor: HyunWook Park, Ph.D., School of Electrical Engineering, KAIST.
Patents Pending and Issued
- Computer device for providing eye-based tactile interface and method of the same KR Patent Application 10-2022-0018698-02-14.
- Presentation of continuous 6-dof parameters using wearable tactile display with multiple skin stretch tactors KR Patent 10-2339031-12-09.
- Smart-toggle for auto recovering from Korean-English mode errors KR Patent 10-2197227-12-24.
- Virtual Reality Controller US Patent 10-838486-11-17.
- Method of Outputting Tactile Pattern and Apparatuses Performing the same KR Patent 10-2095639-03-25.
- Non-contact Wearable Tactile Display Device Using Airflows and Method of Operating the same KR Patent 10-1879982, 2018-07-12.
- Transparent Display Device for Display Different Images on Two Sides KR Patent 10-1718241, 2017-03-14.
Last update: Nov 2023